Saturday, September 29, 2012

Muse - The 2nd Law... Join in the Madness and Follow Me!





Monday morning, when I saw the miracle tweet of the online FULL album stream of Muse's new album (due out 1 Oct, next week) I knew I had to listen it, and have indeed been listening to it over and over from the first track to the last track over and over again.


I think it is a decent album, albeit an apparent change in music genres. It is not Muse's best album, but certainly there are good tracks and talents being showcased. Every song sounds different but that may mean two things for listeners and fans: messy or unique.


It is always good to try new things and Muse has been constantly pushing the boundaries. With this album Muse have tried out several styles and managed to also piss off some fans. Some people want it to sound like Origin of Symmetry and Showbiz. In that case, why don't they listen to Origin of Symmetry and Showbiz?


Also, The 2nd Law will be forever known and recognised as an album represented bu a colourful broccoli. 


Personally, I have divided listening to the album into 3 sections. The first section which consists of 6 tracks- Supremacy, Madness, Panic Station, Prelude & Survival and Follow Me - it is a journey of ups and downs which goes from the intense 007 styled Supremacy to the calm minimal Madness to the funky Panic Station then to the pounding anthemic Survival followed by a cute and assuring song Follow Me.


I really enjoyed Madness and Panic Station. Madness is such a bare minimal song with such a simple drum beat.  It starts slowly and shines when Matt breaks into Panic Station has such a groovy with Chris funk-slapping his bass away, backed by Dom's triplet-sounding bass drums and 16th hi-hat.


Having watched The Making of 2nd Law (below), I realised what the choir parts were singing. They go (correct me if I am wrong) SO I TOLD YOU, SO I TOLD YOU, SO I TOLD YOU, SO I TOLD YOU and
YOU WERE WARNED AND DIDN'T LISTEN, YOU WERE WARNED AND DIDN'T LISTEN, YOU WERE WARNED AND DIDN'T LISTEN, YOU WERE WARNED AND DIDN'T LISTEN. Nicest part IMHO.    


Also, Follow Me is quickly becoming one of my favourite. Lyrically it sounds like something what a father would tell a son. Musically it goes from a soft baby heart beat (Bingham's) to a loud
electronic dubstep sounding chorus. I can only imagine when Bingham grows up and listen to this track...


Next comes Animals, Explorers and Big Freeze.. three least favourite tracks of mine from the album. But they are growing on me. I believe they will grow even more after seeing them played live.


Animals remind me of the Showbiz era album. It sounds like Sunburn and Falling Down meet I Belong To You from The Resistance. This song feels cold. When I listen to it I feel cold. Without reference or looking at the lyrics, Explorers has this exploring sounding feel. I imagine an explorer alone in space exploring and trying to make sense of what comes next... which leads to Big Freeze. Matt sings: "We, Destroy Something Beautiful..." yea, you know what kind of song it is. BUT! With a twist. It sounds like U2. It sounds like Stuck In A Moment You Can't Get Out Of. Period. Now go listen to that.


The 3rd chunk of Save Me, Liquid State, The 2nd Law: Unsustainable and The 2nd Law: Isolated System forms the complete round up for the album.


Chris's moment came in the form of Save Me and Liquid State. The mysterious, somehow repetitive flat sounding of Save Me gives me the chills with a tinge of comfort and assurance. Coupled with the repentive lyrics.. Chris IS glad he is out of his previous condition. Masterpiece. Liquid State is an intense bass heavy and rock sounding declaration dislike of the drunk condition. Chris can write! And sing! And play! cool........... 


The last 2 instrumental tracks of the album- The 2nd Law: Unsustainable and The 2nd Law: Isolated System is a blast. If you watch the making of 2nd Law, you will appreciate the work Muse go through and the passion they have for music. What I really like most is the fusion of classical instruments with electric guitar, distortion, bass and drums. 


Unsustainable has a list of.. do you call them lyrics? They don't sound like that.. what is it called? Basically the apocalyptic message is that "if we continue to use energy not processed the right way we are all screwed"... and with the last line An economy based on endless growth is.......... Unsustainable! 

weeeweeBooo! (from Matt. Watch below) Unsustain... Unsusssss...  Unsustainable! 


Skrillex. Dubstep. Brostep. Musestep. Whatever. It is epic btw. Which then blends into an instrumental Muse styled progression...


The 2nd Law: Isolated System follows and it sounds like what I hear in documentaries about science, religion and nature. Very intense and thought provoking. I kept thinking of how a single cell evolved to a
Homer creature swimming in prehistoric waters, to a Homer dinosaur, to a Homer bird, to a Homer ape and to Homer. 


Making of The 2nd Law:





The 2nd Law is an interesting and fantastic album.
The rock heavy Muse has been missing since Black Holes and Revelations and Absolution. Am already anticipating their live performances though.. IMHO good musicians always try, experiment and touch new grounds. Though some may hate, some may embrace. But one thing to note, as artists and musicians don't have to prove to anyone anything, they are not doing an art for the sake of others but themselves. But of course people do wanna make more money through music so..................   

       
Having fun with the Kitara (Bonus Feature):           

                                                                 




Every time I see these "making of" videos I really appreciate the effort by the band. I'm always intrigued in the making of their albums from Muse. Funny geniuses that really shows how making real music is all about. The passion and vibe.. amazing. 

No comments:

Post a Comment